Friday, October 14, 2011

Whatever is lovely....

I love this verse: 'Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things." Phil. 4:8

We talked about that verse in my small group the other night (we are studying esther...) We were talking about when negative thoughts take over and how Satan uses that to control our thoughts. I am a worrier by nature. I spend a LOT of time reading devotionals and scripture to remind myself of the truths that God is good and in control.

But, recently, I started thinking (and forgive me if I am wrong, I am certainly NOT a theologian...), thinking of what is good, true, etc doesn't just include scripture, praise songs, etc. All of life is filled with blessings and thinking of what is good can include thinking of these blessings. Most of my life, I imagined this verse meant to meditate, to think of the Lord and read scripture...but certainly, since all of our blessings are from him, gratefulness and excitement over blessings, over joyful moments, anticipation for good things to come, is included in this verse. In fact, the verse includes the word LOVELY..think of LOVELY things. Lovely? you mean, like flowers, the ocean, nights of laughing with friends, football games, a good glass of wine or cupcakes? yes lovely, not just noble, right, pure -- not just lofty holy righteous thoughts, but thoughts on things that are lovely, things we enjoy.

And, let's be honest, most days aren't bad or good (by the way we characterize them) - most days are just days that we make it through, with good moments and bad. I rarely have horrible days, nor do I have days so amazing you could make a movie about them...but every day, in the moments I have time to think, time to worry or praise, time to think of fights and drama or disspointment or think of blessings, friends, etc., I should be arming my thoughts with truth and good and LOVELY things. (It reminds me of Tinker Bell saying "Think Happy Thoughts")

So, on days like today, that are average "nothing special" but nothing horrific days, where does my mind go? I could dwell on things going wrong -- a secretary with an attitude, a rude text message, bills, etc. Or I could think of good wonderful lovely things....bible verse, God's promises, good food and football :)

Some of my **lovely** thoughts for today.

1. I love this Bible Study. This week, the focus is on what we as women value - beauty, and also how we get so used to our easy life that we do not know how to handle adversity. Adversity makes our "muscles" stronger to deal with hard times.


2. AUBURN IS CLEARED. I love my school, I love my friends, I love that football team. And I hate people attacking them. It is good to know that the truth prevailed (although there will still be haters) It is also good to know I will be back on the plains in 2 weeks!




3. I LOVE dressing up and I LOVE the holiday season -- the mistletoe ball is in 3 weeks and it kicks off this time of year. Such a fun occassion celebrating with friends! I need to figure out what I am wearing!




4. Oxford this weekend. Only my second time this season. I love this town, I love the grove, I love the memories I have there. Here is a fune picture of my mom, sister and me last season and a picture of my friend Claire and me at the EggBowl. I get to enjoy the grove with both my family and Claire this weekend.








5. JACK ATTACK is in town. He (although not in this picture) is ALL SMILES. He is in a really fun age where he giggles and smiles constantly and is always aware. When he saw me at the airport, he burst into a smile! I am excited to show him the grove.




6. This story makes me happy -- a local school voted a special ed student as homecoming queen. Sometimes, high schoolers surprise you :) There is a disabled girl on my high school's homecoming court, I hope she wins tonight, but even if not, I am glad she is on court.




What are lovely things you think about?







































No comments:

Post a Comment