Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Thanks ------> Joy

Check out this post

"Waiting till you’re happy before you give thanks, is like waiting to be healthy before you take your vitamins. Vitamins are what make you healthy. Giving thanks is what makes you happy. Giving thanks is the way we awaken to the presence of God all around us and only in His presence is fullness of joy. Giving thanks is what gets you joy."


Life is a little stressful right now, albeit blessed in many many ways.  I'm marrying my best friend....but I likely have to move... and study for the bar exam again...and make new friends...and find a job in a city where I don't have tons of connections....oh, and I have no idea what city this is yet!! And he is stressed because firms can't even keep their own architects, much less hire any more.  Oh, and I'm not sure how I want to use my degree...or if I can find creative ways to use it.

In one way, life is opening up in good good ways, but in another way, it feels like it is in chaos... I LOVE certainty and hate that there is so much in our life for the next few months, and honestly, there has been uncertainty for awhile. 

But I need to try this approach.  I am thankful that we are going to move together.  I am thankful that being a couple in a new city means we have an opportunity to make friends together and a chance to rely only on eachother for a bit, strengthening our marriage.  I am thankful that Dave has interviews and possible options.  I am thankful that I will have a break from law as I study for the bar exam so I can figure out what my next step is going to be.  I am thankful for technology and roadways so I can come home often.  I am thankful that God blessed me with such community these past 3.5 years that leaving will be hard.  I am thankful Dave is working hard to find a job. I am thankful I have a job.  I am thankful we are nearing a more certain time in our lives. I am thankful its warm today. I am thankful for tennis with friends last night.  I am thankful for snowcones and easter dresses and weddings (T-2 weeks for a sweet friend)!!

I am thankful that my stresses and uncertainty are just stresses.  Its not death or divorce or illness.  It's inconveniance and a sense of being lost, but its nothing permenant or drastically destructive.

Oh, yeah, and I am thankful that I get to marry my best friend.  Thats what I am most thankful for. I probably need to remind myself off all the blessings and not the small stressses every hour on the hour.

Try it. Whatever is stressful today: Job, babies, spouse, singleness, sickness, relationships, etc.  What good things can we be thankful for? Maybe striving to be thankful can give us Joy, or remind us of all we have to be joyful about?

1 comment:

  1. I think you should move to Texas....close to me and your sister! Let's keep that option open! :) It really is so hard to focus on the blessings in the midst of all the stress, so thank you for the reminder!!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete