Tuesday, July 3, 2012

RIP Nora Ephron

This week, movie screenwriter Nora Ephron passed away. If you are a female, this is a sad day for you. Nora Ephron wrote two of the best chick flicks of our time (When Harry Met Sally and You've Got Mail)....I mean truly entertaining girls movies, not just the cheesy "boy and girl meet, overcome some obstacle and fall in love" movie with no humor, depth, etc.

I love a movie that lets you escape. I love happy movies....but I don't necessarilly love dumb movies.  She managed to give us a few GOOD movies that were entertaining, well written and light hearted.

Some of her best quotes.....

"Look, Annie... I love you. But let's leave that out of this. I don't want to be someone that you're settling for. I don't want to be someone that anyone settles for. Marriage is hard enough without bringing such low expectations into it, isn't it?" -- Walter (Sleepless in Seattle)

"You are the butter to my bread, you are the breath to my life." -- Paul Child to Julia (Julie and Julia)

“And then the dreams break into a million tiny pieces. The dream dies. Which leaves you with a choice: you can settle for reality, or you can go off, like a fool, and dream another dream.”  (Heartburn)

“Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic."

(Sleepless in Seattle)

“Well, I'm gonna get out of bed every morning... breathe in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out... and, then after a while, I won't have to think about how I had it great and perfect for a while. (Sleepless in Seattle)

People are always saying that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened. - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does. - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)


The BEST quote....

“I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” — Billy Crystal to Meg Ryan in “When Harry Met Sally”

(Come on, ladies, who wouldn't want your man to notice all the little things about you - the silly things, the inconsequential things, the daily aspects of your life -- and make these things seem special and unique?  And you know you notice those small things in your husband, boyfriend, crush, etc!!)

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love that When Harry Met Sally Quote. Totally looking for that guy! I also love the Heartburn quote about broken dreams. So true!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete