Monday, October 8, 2012

10 Year Reunion

This weekend was my 10 year HS reunion. Crazy that I'm that old right? I like to think that I don't look 28 -- haha but some days I do :(

Dave was a sweetie to go with me.  I enjoyed showing him off, and I'm glad he saw where I went to high school (even if it was only for 2 years)

I had mixed feelings about my HS reunion.  I moved in the middle of high school and spent only 2 years at BHS.  I certainly wasn't an outcast and had friends, but I always felt like I wasn't "one of them" because they had grown up together.  It would have been better if we had moved before high school started.  Also, I didn't know everyone in my class... at the point I moved, I was in AP and Honors classes so I knew the kids in those classes only (and a few others)  I did meet others through debate, soccer, school plays, etc.

Anyways, no one was mean to me or anything but I don't feel a strong connection to my high school.  I have one really close friend I still keep in touch with, but she is not in my class.   My other friends and I meet up over the holidays most years.  However, I don't live far away...so it seemed like I had no excuse not to go.

And you know what? I am really glad I went.  As I said, I don't dislike my classmates and I wish I knew them better.  I had a great time seeing some people (although we had a small turnout-- I'd guess probably 30-40 came to atleast one event --out of our class of 180ish, but I hear your 10 year reunion is usually small)  I was happy to see that many people were doing well with jobs, family, etc. I don't see myself as a Brookhaven girl because I spent most of my life growing up in Jackson, but I probably would have liked being a brookhaven gal.  Sometimes life just works out the way it does.  I moved in high school, it happens.

Dave and I only went to the friday events because we were heading to Oxford on Saturday so I missed the family picnic and a little get together with just my friends.

BHS puts on a really great homecoming show where the students doe dance and music numbers from each year -42, 52, 62, 72, 82, 92, 02, 12.  We then went to the ballgame and a party at my friend's house.

Dave and I before the BHS homecoming show

Some of my class outside the school

 throwing the two (yep, cheesy)

at the ballgame

at the party at Marcee's house

My class and our dates/spouses

My class (as I said, not a huge turnout)

I enjoyed seeing everyone.  I also enjoy not being 18.  Everyone seemed more sure of themselves and less into 'trying to impress' .  As I said, I didn't have an awful HS experience, but moving was tough.  I love my life now.  I love my friends, my boyfriend, my family, being out of school, my church, etc.  And I was really happy to see that everyone else is happier too.  We looked good with a few more years on us :)  I love being 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment