Friday, October 19, 2012

#18: a HEALTH and BEAUTY routine

#18: Every TwentySomething Single gal should have a health and beauty routine.

You don't have to have everything figured out yet....married or single.  You are in your twenties and your body will change.  Appearance -wise and health-wise.

You shouldn't be eating solely pizza and wings still. Either it will catch up with you weight-wise or it already has.  Or if not, its affecting you, just not your waistline.

In the past 5 years, I got the flu twice, mono so severe I was hospitalized, and a staff infection requiring hopsitalization. Ask me how often I got sick in high school and college....rarely.  I can't remember anything that severe, just stomach bugs and colds and viruses.  Our body is a little older and adjusting to working.  And honestly, the older you get, the more dangerous high fevers can be.

So, get in the habit of getting your flu shot.  Buy lotion for your face.  Start thinking about a facecare system, wrinkle cream, all that good stuff. For heaven's sake, wear sunscreen.

Do you take birth control? Do you plan on taking it when you get married? Maybe its time to start thinking about and figuring that out now (I have a friend who started right before she got married and spent most of her engagement sick before she realized that it was the BC making her sick, so it would be good to learn that now)

Do something that I have been horrible about (curse of being a DR's daughter and relying on him) - find dr's you like and trust.  Get yearly checkups.

Invest in good makeup.  And if you need it, quality hair or skin products.

Establish it now while you are in your prime -- late 20s and early 30s are when many women look their best (age hasn't caught up completely and they don't look like kids anymore!)  Once you have a housefull of munchkins, figuring out what eyecream works best will seem secondary.  Take advantage of singleness and do it now...

And seriously, people, get your flu shot (I am getting mine next wednesday)


2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! It's so important to step up your game and really take care of yourself in your twenties. You're right that this is when most of us look our best in our lives. I would add that it's time to invest in a quality haircut. A good haircut makes me feel very adult and like I can take on the world! :)

    sagegrayson.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your positive, fun, and upbeat presentation of this. It's such an approachable and friendly reminder to do what I'm always wanting to follow through on doing but not always actually doing! Figuring out a routine takes work and time....but getting started is half the battle, right?

    ReplyDelete