Monday, October 22, 2012

#19: Non-marriage based goals.

EVERY 20-SOMETHING SINGLE GAL SHOULD HAVE NON MARRIAGE RELATED GOALS.

I'm not going to lie.  Two of my biggest goals in life is to be a wife and mother.  However, clearly, I can't control these goals....well maybe I could adopt or have a child on my own.  And I certainly have tried to do what I can in the dating/relationship department.  BUT I learned early on that relational aspects of life don't happen on your timeline sometime.

I see so many single girls (encouraged by married folks and the church) make marriage and babies their only goals.  And I agree with making it a goal and doing all the things necessary to get there -- dating, improving your appearance, widening your social circles.  But, at the end of the day, it will happen when the Lord wants it to happen, even if you do everything right.

And, you know where that leaves you?? feeling like a failure.  You feel rejected for not being "picked" and like a failure for not meeting your "goals".

You have got to have other goals. Want to get a masters? Run a marathon? Go to greece? DO THESE THINGS.

YOU NEED OTHER GOALS BECAUSE YOU NEED SOME CERTAINTY.

I ran my first half marathon simply because I felt like I needed to achieve something. I hated my job.  I was new in town and only had a few friends (which both improved within the year)  I was barely dating (this also improved within the year, although I didn't meet mr right or anything like that!)  I needed a goal and I needed to feel like I actually accomplished something.  I needed control over something....and deciding to run a half marathon was something I could work for and control.  I could achieve that.  I liked having certainty.

So, pick some goals.  Do some of the things that singleness allows you the time to do.  Or, do some of those things you are waiting on marriage for: buying a house, investing, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, Katy! Never heard it put this way, but you hit the nail right on the head!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete